A Brief History Old City Hall to Solon Center for the Arts Old
City Hall, built in 1899, is one of the oldest public buildings in
Solon. Styled in Georgian architecture, it served over the years as a
school, library, and police and fire stations. In addition to its main
role as the center of Solon’s government, this building also provided a
center for church services, community dances, town hall meetings,
graduations, and theater productions. With the opening of the new Solon
City Hall on Bainbridge Road in 1995, the doors of the old City Hall
closed...but not for long.
A New Beginning Through research, interviews, and public response, it was determined that an arts center would fulfill a need within the community. On June 11, 1997, the old City Hall Committee voted unanimously to preserve the building and create a multi-faceted community arts center.
On June 17, 2002, Solon Center for the Arts opened its doors for classes. The building was appropriately named Drake Hall in honor of Senator Grace Drake for her leadership and commitment to SCA’s renovation and creation.