Residential Variance Submittal Procedures
Residential Variance Submittal ProceduresVariances are reviewed by Planning Commission and City Council at public meetings. The owner and/or the applicant are required to attend each meeting. If Planning Commission approves the variance, the application will automatically be placed on Council’s meeting agenda that immediately follows the Planning Commission meeting. Council may support, deny, or modify the approval. If Planning Commission denies the variance, you have the right to appeal to City Council. The action of City Council is final.
PLEASE FOLLOW THE VARIANCE APPLICATION SUBMITTAL PROCEDURES BELOW
- The applicant shall first meet with a Planning Department staff member to discuss the proposal and submit a site plan for the staff member to review and identify any required variances on the Variance Identification Report.
- The applicant shall then prepare the Required Submittal Items listed below and call to schedule an appointment with the Planning Department at (440) 349-6327 to verify that the variance application is complete. The application will not be accepted unless it is verified complete on or before the Planning Commission Deadline Date listed on the Submittal Deadline and Meeting Date Schedule for the City of Solon.
REQUIRED SUBMITTAL ITEMS
- 1 copy of the Application to the Solon Planning Commission/City Council
- 14 copies of a cover letter that describes the project, why you are requesting the variance(s), and justifications why the variance should be approved.
- 14 copies of the site plan at a scale of either 1”=10’, 1”=20’, 1”=30’ or 1”=40’ showing at minimum the following information:
- Address, north arrow, scale
- Lot dimensions (existing and/or proposed)
- Dimensions (width/length) of the existing and proposed structures
- The exact distance between the structure(s) and the lot lines
- 14 copies of any other documentation that supports the application.
- $15 filing fee (cash or check made payable to the City of Solon)
applications must be collated.
When the Planning Department has verified that the application is complete, the applicant will be directed to forward the application to the Clerk of Council’s Office to pay the $15 fee and be placed on the Planning Commission agenda. Please be aware that if your application is tabled at any meeting, the review time will be extended as needed.
Meeting Times (Call the Clerk of Council at (440) 349-6740 if you cannot attend a meeting.)
Planning Commission: 7 p.m. caucus, 7:30 p.m. meeting
City Council: 7 p.m. caucus, 7:30 p.m. meeting